Tuesday, December 01, 2009
Overly Simplistic Litmus Tests for Republicans
The target of this effort appears to be the several RINOs currently serving in the legislatures.
There is a movement in the Republican Party to insist that members sign up to at least 8 of the following 10 propositions:
(1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill; I support "right-sizing' for the various functions of the government.
(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care; agree
(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation; there is more to market-based energy reforms than merely Cap and Trade
(4) We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check; agree
(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants; there is more to immigration reform than opposition to amnesty.
(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges; again, there is more to this than simply a surge in troops.
(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat; agree, but what is the limit to "effective action?"
(8) We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act; agree
(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; This is an overly simplistic view.
(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership. agree
I cannot agree with the required 8 of 10 propositions without some modifications and clarifications.