Sunday, May 22, 2005

 

Civil Discussions


Exploring Subjects With the "Opposition"

Once you agree to disagree, and establish where the parties are coming from, it is useful to comment on whatever subject is at hand. No one has a corner on all knowledge, and there are always different views of the subject to bring out and test in the crucible of critiques.

However, some people had rather cast stones at you for your opinions, instead of listening before "flaming." Nothing stops civility faster than being called stupid or worse. It all goes downhill from there, and it then becomes a contest of who can sling hurtful words faster.
I am not interested in that kind of experience. I am interested in differing opinions and how they came to pass.

Sometimes, from a long-ago settling of my basic tenets, I am undoubtedly stubborn and dogmatic, for it can be very hard for me to see the other's viewpoints clearly enough through my "automatic" filters. Perhaps they have the same reaction about mine. Then too, I find that others make gross assumptions about who you are, what you believe in, and why you arrived at those beliefs.

That is one reason for this blog: to lay out my system of beliefs and opinions from my years on earth. I might add that it is a new experience for me, as a long-time defense systems engineer, to enter into the larger world of discourse. For too many years, I was far more interested in the project at hand, and getting ready for the next one.

So I welcome comments, interactions and politeness.

Lives of great men all remind us
as their pages o'er we turn,
That we're apt to leave behind us
Letters that we ought to burn.

Author Unknown


Comments:
Welcome JMF, especially if you wish to discuss politely. I posted this to show that the comments are functional...
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?